Aprons Simple Meals
Need a Meal for Tonight?
Chicken Posole with Bean and Cheese Puffs
– 1 Deli rotisserie chicken, shredded
– 1 large poblano pepper, coarsely chopped
– 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
– 1/2 cup queso fresco (or Monterey Jack) cheese, crumbled
– 1 lime
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– 8 oz prediced yellow onions (1 1/2 cups)
– 3 teaspoons ground cumin
– 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
– 2 (15.5-oz) cans white hominy (or white corn), drained and rinsed
– 2 (4.5-oz) cans diced green chiles
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
Bean and Cheese Puffs:
– Cooking spray
– 6 frozen puff pastry shells (10 oz)
– 3/4 cup refried beans (or frijoles charros machacados)
– 6 tablespoons queso fresco (or Monterey Jack) cheese, crumbled
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- Preheat oven; prepare puffs for baking (5 minutes)
- Begin prep steps for chicken recipe; bake puffs (10 minutes)
- Complete both recipes; serve (25 minutes)
- Shred chicken (about 3 cups), Chop poblano (1 cup), cilantro, and garlic.
- Crumble cheese; cut lime into wedges.
- Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions and poblano; cook 4–5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken, stock, hominy, chiles, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 7–8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until hot and flavors have blended. Meanwhile, dice avocado.
- Top each bowl of soup with cilantro, cheese, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
Bean and Cheese Puffs:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with spray; place shells on baking sheet. Bake only 15 minutes.
- Press the center of each shell down to make a well; place 2 tablespoons beans and 1 tablespoon cheese in center of each shell.
- Coat shells with spray and sprinkle with cumin. Bake 5–6 minutes or until beans and cheese are hot. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Complete your meal with soup toppings (pepper sauce, sour cream, tortilla strips), fresh salad blend, and mango Key lime pie for dessert.
- This is our Simple Meals version of a traditional Mexican posole; a soup or stew using hominy (plump, puffy kernels of corn) as the main ingredient.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 300kcal; FAT 18.00g; SAT FAT 4.00g; TRANS FAT 0.00g; CHOL 50mg; SODIUM 920mg; CARB 19g; FIBER 5.00g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 17g; CALC 10%; VIT A 10%; VIT C 45%; IRON 10%
BEAN AND CHEESE PUFFS:
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 260kcal; FAT 16.00g; SAT FAT 5.00g; TRANS FAT 0.00g; CHOL 5mg; SODIUM 410mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 3.00g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 8g; CALC 6%; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; IRON 10%