Need a Meal for Tonight?
Fall Sausage Ragù with Gnocchi
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 cup prediced yellow onions
– 1/2 cup prediced bell peppers
– 1 lb mild Italian chicken (or pork) sausage, casing removed
– 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
– 1 teaspoon pumpkin (or apple) pie spice*
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
– 1 cup pumpkin puree
– 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock (or broth)
– 16 oz gnocchi pasta
- Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil, onions, and peppers in pan; cook 2 minutes. Meanwhile, remove sausage casing by cutting almost in half lengthwise (butterfly); turn sausage over and peel casing away (wash hands).
- Add sausage, both seasonings, red pepper, and salt; brown 3–4 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.
- Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin, stock, and gnocchi, then cover; reduce heat to medium and simmer 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until hot and gnocchi are tender. Serve.
*NOTE: These spice blends are readily available during the fall months. Other times of the year, you can substitute with garam masala.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 210kcal; FAT 4.50g; SAT FAT 1.00g; TRANS FAT 0.00g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 970mg; CARB 29g; FIBER 3.00g; SUGARS 4g; PROTEIN 15g; CALC 6%; VIT A 80%; VIT C 15%; IRON 10%